Clunking, Squeaking Suspension

ncktdy

Reactions
I had the bushes oiled for the second time in two weeks. No noise as yet. I am not too confident though that the noise will not return.

OP
F
Reactions
Thread Starter #22
For those of you who haven't seen this it's worth a read: http://www.vwgolfmk7problems.uk/

My car only has 20K miles on it but the rear suspension sounds as if it is trying to separate from the rest of the car. It not only detracts from the perceived quality of the car, but it's irritating as hell. I've been doing some research and have seen a possible fix, but I'm waiting for the dealership test ride and what they're going to do about it (I expect it to be a drawn-out affair).

My question is this: Has anyone else experienced this and reported it to their dealership and if so was there any resolution? I was surprised to see that there was no chatter on it here.
The car has her dealership visit; they agreed that there was something wrong. Apparently there was a heat shield in front and a belly pan were loose. They were re-torqued to spec. Now the car is quiet and smooth. Was it the fix? I hope so; time will tell.

Borat

Reactions
I also have a rumbling rattling noise from the passenger footwell area (driver's side in the US), only heard after driving a while, on quite smooth roads at times and not heard at speed (though I imagine it's still there, just not heard over the road noise). It is very similar to the noise we had in our '04 Bora (Jetta in the US) 4mo, which took about two years to fix. Turns out the sway bar (anti-roll bar) has a hard plastic bushing under the rubber, and that was moving on the metal. Remove the plastic, fit a slightly fatter rubber, all fixed. But it took time to track down. Anybody know if the sway bars on the Golf Alltrack has a similar set up? Or if the drop links are prone to troubles?

PaulGiz

Reactions
At about 20K mine started creaking from the front at low speeds when going over bumps or turning the wheel. Dealer diagnosed as front strut mounts and strut bearings.

They were replaced yesterday, so I can't report on longevity. Car is quiet now and seems to be tighter.

Attachments

Borat

Reactions
An update from Australia: after the second trip to the dealer, where the mechanic first rode with me driving and heard the noise clearly, I was once again told it was stones and dirt in the plastic protectors etc. But after 30 kilometers it was just the same. So I checked the drop link ball joints, which seemed fine, but the sway bar bush looked like it had been hit with a hammer. Strange. So I sprayed it (and only it, one variable at a time) with silicone and bingo, the next 1000km, no noise. Back to a local dealer, and now I'm told both sway bar bushings are "prematurely soft" at 20,000km, and I have to wait and see what VW Australia says, ie a new sway bar and bushes, which they say is the listed replacement part, or just new bushes (a one hour job for me, if I used aftermarket ones). It is dragging on a bit for what seems to be a simple job. And don't get me started on the noises in the back, which sound just like dud shock absorber rubbers. That will be next. Good luck out there.

Topb

Reactions
City
London
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
2016 Golf Alltrack
Had my alltrack for a few months. Slow speed noise that sometimes sounds like a wheel bearing and other times suspension related.
It’s been to Vw 4 times. Wheel bearing changed, whole strut change, strut top bearing, tie bar.
Absolutely no change.Driving me insane.

Reactions
City
Amherst
State
NH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Volkswagen Golf Alltrack SEL
For those of you who haven't seen this it's worth a read: http://www.vwgolfmk7problems.uk/

My car only has 20K miles on it but the rear suspension sounds as if it is trying to separate from the rest of the car. It not only detracts from the perceived quality of the car, but it's irritating as hell. I've been doing some research and have seen a possible fix, but I'm waiting for the dealership test ride and what they're going to do about it (I expect it to be a drawn-out affair).

My question is this: Has anyone else experienced this and reported it to their dealership and if so was there any resolution? I was surprised to see that there was no chatter on it here.
I’ve owned Volkswagens for many years and they have always made little quirky noises. More so when the car is cold

Last edited:

Golf Alltrack Posts